Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hungry Bear

If you live anywhere in South Miami or wherever else there is a Hungry Bear in Miami, you've probably at least heard of it. If you haven't gone, that is just your stupidity. I've gone to Hungry Bear before starting college, and that by definition makes me a genius. Funny I mention college since its right across the street from one. That college being Miami-Dade College, or as some call it, Thirteenth grade. Its down the street where the Shell gas station is on the left. One of the only places close that has parallel parking, so female drivers or male drivers that drive like females, beware.

The only reason you should not know about this place is if you have no communication with the outside world, such as Brendan Frasier's character in Blast from the Past. But I'm sure even his mom and dad in the movie would've told him about it and it would have been the first place he went from coming out of his underground bomb shelter. Don't act like you've never seen a horrible movie and remembered it by choice, Waterworld FTW, especially one that plays right after Pleasentville every week on TBS or one of those other horrible-movie-plying-during-the-day channels. Another reason you might not know about it just by driving around is its location. Its acorss the street from MDC like I said, which sounds easy, but its down a street where nothing else is on except Fox-Mar, the senior year picture ruiners.

The actual place is very aimed to fit the college student or close by half hour for lunch consumer. You walk in, tell someone that works there what you want, which will in turn be yelled out and put on the grill. Once your meat of choice has been fully cooked with all desired sauces and condiments on the grill, it is than put on the hoagie and returned to the person you ordered from. They than put the remaining condiments you ask for ask if you want a drink or chips, and than you pay. All this is very exciting when theres ten or fifteen people in the place all getting similar orders and everyone watches the grill like its all the new born babies at a hospital in a movie. No wonder the grill is blocked by an apropriate 6 or 7 foot high plexiglass window. Once your sandwhich, chips, and/or soda are in hand, you can go out side to one of the tables out side (not suggested if windy) or go to designated eating area of your choice. Whether it be a break room at work, your computer desk at home, or at a table on campus, you aren't going to care, because it will be amazing anywhere and everywhere you eat it.

This visit was back in the early Foods of the World Tour days before Bert and I had even picked out a name or thought of an idea for this blog in the first place. We just wanted to try different food every week or so, and Bert had never been but always wanted to go. He ordered a honey mustard chicken without lettuce or any healthy stuff if I recall correctly, with cheese... I think, on white... I also think. Its close enough. I got what I always got and always probably will get-- buffalo chicken on white with provolone, salt, pepper, oil, and vinegar. Simple, yet complex and interesting enough to make me eat the whole dam sub, which if anyone knows me well enough, knows I have a disease that slows down my digestion in my stomach. Ya, not a good foods blog topic.

Anyways. Point is, if your around there, hungry, and in a hurry, but want something above fast food, than go and check it out. If your not in a hurry, go there. Even if your not hungry.

I give it 8 Wu-Tang Shaolins out of 9 Wu-Tang Shaolins. ODB is the ninth. Trump.

1 comment:

Raf said...

Nicely done, Mr. Schaffer.

I'm dying to go to Hungry Bear before I move, bc I havent had it, and that buffalo chicken sounds too amazing.

Let's do it!