Tuesday, July 1, 2008

D' Pizza Place

I guess I should start off by saying that the format of this blog will consist of each person being charge of one of the restaurants we all attended. I guess it's only fair for Casey to write his about Sports Grill since the owners rent a room out to him upstairs. Might I also add that we're trying to write as many blogs possible so we can catch up on past restaurants... so a lot of the blogs would be posted on July 1.

Anyway, the next destination is D'Pizza Place... which from the outside looks like your average shady pizza establishment. I mean the name kind of says it all-- it's "the pizza place", right? The kind of place you'd see kids going to eat-- with the typical Italian Pizzeria flair (i.e., Frank Sinatra photograph signed, lame porcelain chef statues, and portraits of mother Italy, etc.)... like Amici's, I guess.



This place is also next to Canton Star which is a really good/cheap/greasy Chinese restaurant. I mean all the Cantons are really good.

Anyway, you walk into this place and it catches you by surprise-- this place is classy as fuck. I'm talking wooden floors, a giant wine rack on the wall, tables with wine, gourmet dishes with garnish, a garcon, and LCD Television (that's classy). The garcon (this really strange Italian guy) saw our faces of awe and re-assured us that this is in fact a pizzeria. I'm sure they get people coming in like that a lot.

He sits us down and gives us the menu. We order a large pizza and half-a-dozen garlic rolls. While we're waiting I guess we start talking shit and watching TV which, by the way, was tuned to the Sci-Fi channel. I guess it doesn't get more authentically Italian than eating pizza and watching Stargate: Atlantis? Whatever. I think they get points just for playing the Sci-Fi channel-- which I don't really watch, but it's obscurity is note-worthy... it's better than watching Hockey or something dumb like that.

Might I also add-- for one I don't drink soda... but KC and Albert do. They ordered a coke and a fanta-- yeah they got their sodas in a classic glass bottle. I'm telling you this place is chuch'n.

Here's where it gets a little ish.

The pizza is not that great... maybe because some of us aren't willing to give other toppings a try (i.e. Mushrooms) and instead go for such generic shit as pepperoni and simple, plain cheese. I'm not the only one who loves mushrooms on their pizza. Either way, the pizza was mediocre-- it's the kind of pizza you'd wanna eat at a run-down, shitty establishment.

The garlic rolls weren't garlic-y enough either. It felt like I was eating dinner rolls.



The waiter was kind of a pooch, too. He seemed angry with his life-- not satisfied with the fact that he works at a place called D'Pizza Place.

Also, at the end of my meal I smelled this strange odor-- that of shit and pot burning together. Not a good odor to smell when you're trying to figure out how much to leave for tip. Points are being taken off for that.

I couldn't find any photos online but they do have a website:
www.dpizzaplace.com

Oooohh. They use flash. And they cater... so if you want shitty pizzeria type pizza at your home-- it's a call away.

Overall Grade: 6/10
If the pizza was good-- it could've been the jump-off. But no. Sorry. I mean it's not that bad. If you simplify that fraction, it's a 3/5-- that's actually okay.

-Ryan

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha. this is a genius blog. maybe you guys can let me do a feature article where I can suggest the most authentic chinese places to eat.. dog and all.

harrrhharrrharr